From alumna Susan Young:
MarVista Entertainment, a full service independent studio and distribution company is looking for a Production/Financial Accountant who will excel in a fast-paced & dynamic environment. In this newly created position, the Production/Financial accountant will provide accounting support to MarVista’s production department, serving as production accountant for any in-house productions as well as being an integral member of the accounting department for MarVista providing support to the rest of the company. Reports to Controller.
* Work closely with executive producers and the production office to prepare schedules and budgets for film productions.
* Manage the day-to-day accounting office functions and reporting the project’s financial progress against the budgets.
* Calculate finances, cost productions, and control cash flow to ensure payments are made on time and in accordance with agreements and approved budgets.
* During production, evaluate all purchase requisitions, oversee payments, manage payroll, petty cash, and foreign currency (if applicable), and keep accurate financial records.
* Assist with monitoring budgets, analyze costs and expenditures, provide daily and weekly cost reports, as well as cost forecasts that evaluate the financial impact of any production changes.
* Prepare Statement of Account for all productions.
* Perform audits of production accounts.
* Assist with revenue recognition and film cost amortization for monthly close.
* Participate in development of a new forecasting process for the productions including a monthly P&L and variance analysis.
* Assist with financial month end close and daily accounting activity on tight deadlines.
* Monthly journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations.
* Cost tracking, coding, and processing invoices and payments.
* Assist with financial analysis and budget preparation.
* Serve in backup capacity for other accounting functions.
* Document accounting and control procedures.
* Other duties and special projects as assigned by Controller or CFO.
Desired Skills & Experience
* Thorough knowledge of accounting processes and procedures.
* Handles confidential and sensitive information and records with a high degree of discretion, diligence and good judgment.
* Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills. Listens effectively, transmits information accurately and understandably, and actively seeks feedback.
* Well-organized, self-directed team player. Remains open to others’ ideas, and exhibits willingness to try new things.
* Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
* Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
* Prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
* Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality, presents numerical data effectively, and is able to read and interpret written information.
* Demonstrates professionalism, discretion, and good judgment in all interactions with co-workers, customers, vendors and others.
* Consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
* Strong analytical, quantitative and financial skills.
Must have Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
Must have prior experience as production accountant
Minimum 3 years prior experience as an accountant
Experience with accounting software packages as well as budgeting/scheduling software.
Experience in film production and knowledge of tax, union, guild, and other relevant government regulations
Strong knowledge and understanding of the production process and experience with budgets
Skilled with PCs, accounting software, and MS Office including advanced Excel skills
Local candidates only, no relocation will be offered.
Please note that candidates who are qualified for this position will be requested to complete an employment pre-screening test
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.